Monday, January 11, 2010

ring a day, jan 11


for as long as I can remember, my grandfather has made beads with church bulletins, tacky glue, and toothpicks.  he slices the paper in long triangular strips, covers one side with tacky glue, and rolls each one up on a toothpick- this is one of his favorite past times. when we would come over to visit, all the girls - cousins, aunts, daughters, and daughter-in-law - would pick out their favorite colors from the hundreds of beads he had on display.  this past fall, my grandfather was able to stay with my parents for three months, and of course continued to made his beads.  I love having his necklaces in my studio, and my mother just sent me a huge amount of them from the stash he left from his visit.  using his beads makes me feel connected to what his hands have made, and lucky to be able to collaborate with him.



paper, glue, string, metallic beads





2 comments: